Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kind of Ridiculous

I just have to post this story, because I find so completely ridiculous and a little bit annoying. On Sunday my husband and Hannah and I went out to lunch with my parents after church, and then headed over to the mall after lunch to do a bit of shopping. While we were at the mall, Hannah started asking for chocolate milk to drink. I obliged and bought her some chocolate milk, but of course I didn't have a sippy cup to put it in, and I didn't really trust her with just the plastic jug and a straw, especially with church clothes on.

So I asked the cashier for a cup to put the milk in. She got out this tiny little plastic cup (and when I say tiny think just a little bit bigger than the ones people have in the bathroom to rinse their mouth's out with). I chuckled and said, actually I need one with a lid. She replies, well this is the only one I can give you for free.

I am thinking, well thats ok, I will gladly pay 10 or 15 cents for a cup with a lid to save myself the hassle of cleaning chocolate milk out of the stroller, and trying to get the stains out of Hannah's clothes.

So I asked that cashier, "well how much would that be?"

To my complete shock, she says it will be $1.45.

I replied, "WHAT?!?!"

She says that they have to charge the full price of a small drink to give me the cup with the lid.

I then say, "Even though I already paid $1.69 for the chocolate milk?" The cashier said that was the policy.

I most certainly DID NOT pay for the cup with the lid, and Hannah survived until we got home and put her chocolate milk in a cup with a lid...for free! Kind of ridiculous, don't you think?!

1 comment:

kirsteniteleader said...

That IS ridiculous, because all it means is that some fatcat is getting his bonus for "maximizing profit margins." It reminds me of chains that buy the thinnest, cheapest toilet paper to cut corners. It tells me they don't think I'm important enough for decent paper. My wallet is all that matters.