Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Adventures in Mommy-ing

*Before I tell this story, I feel that it is important to make a disclaimer. This is a story that involves poop. The main theme of this story is in fact poop. So now you have been warned and may proceed at your own discretion.*

Today I went to "town" with my sister for a Dr.'s appt. Whenever we go to this particular city we always go out to eat at Chickfila. Hannah loves it, and I really like it, so when we are in the vicinity we treat ourselves to some nuggets, fries, and chocolate milk (sweet tea for me :)). We usually go about once a month, so it is a fun change of pace. Well before we had gone to eat, we dropped my sister off at her appt. and the plan was for us to go eat and then she would call when she was done and we would head back and pick her up.

So Hannah and I had finished our lunch and my sister was not finished at her appt., so I told Hannah she could go play in the kids play area. It was later in the afternoon and it was not busy at all, so I thought why not. She could play and I could sit in there and watch her while relaxing and drinking my sweet tea.

So we were in the play area for about 10 minutes, and Hannah comes running over and says, "Mommy, I poopy in my undies." My first thought was that she prolly just tooted, so I would check to be sure. And let me just say, Hannah has been day time potty trained for a couple of months. And the few accidents she has had have been pee, not poo. In fact prior to this she has only had one other poo accident.

But I digress... I decided to check and see if she had in fact pooped. I must mention that she was wearing a onesie because the outfit still fits her and I hate to waste a perfectly good outfit and she is really good (usually :)) about telling me when she needs to go, so I don't really worry about it. Well, I you have ever checked your childs undies/diaper while they are wearing a onesie, you know how you have to kind of put your finger in the side and pull out to see if there is anything going on. Haha, big mistake!! Two of my fingers are now covered up to the middle knuckle in poop. Runny, stinky, diarrhea poop. And do you think I have a single wipe in my bag? Nope! So what does any desperate mom do? I wiped it on her bib (it was in my bag not on her) of course. It was all I had and my only other option was to wipe it on my jeans. And there was no way I was doing that!

My next panicked thought was, how am I going to get her to the bathroom without this making a huge mess. At this point there was no poo on the floor and I really wanted to avoid that if I could. I didn't really want to pick her up, because I knew that if I did it would squish the poop out of its somewhat contained space in the undies and onesie. So we VERY CAREFULLY made our way back to the bathroom, which luckily was not too far off, and I stripped Hannah down and sat her on the potty while I tried to salvage some of her clothing. The undies were pitched in the diaper disposer, because there was no way I was going to try and clean up that mess, and the onesie and socks were wipeable, so those were wrapped in paper towels and and put in a platic bag. And in case you are wondering I have no idea why I had a platic bag, but no wipes in my purse. :)

After several damp paper towels and purell towelttes (thank goodness they had those in the bathroom!) Hannah was clean and no longer smelled like poo. I dressed her in her pants (no poo on those), shoes without socks, and her coat with no shirt underneath. We made it out the door with no one at Chickfila any the wiser and with my sense of humor still intact. :)

My sister and I had a good laugh over it when I picked her up from her appt., and I learned two valuable lessons today.
1. If the kid tells you she pooped, she probably did. :)
2. ALWAYS make sure you have plenty of wipes in your bag. You can make do, but it probably won't be pretty :)

3 comments:

Valerie Hunter said...

HaHaHa...only a mom would have to deal with this :O)!!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness.

I KNOW this story!!!

Megan said...

WHEW! what you go through, really. WHEW!

Megan