Monday, September 8, 2008

The Day of the Dead Cat


(This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but after you read the story you will understand why I felt the need to add in a gratuitous picture Hannah cuteness!! Her lips are blue from a Popsicle :))
Oh yes...I said dead cat.

Every Monday I babysit for two of the little girls that we go to church with. Nick works with their mom, and Hannah absolutely loves both girls. It is really usually a lot of fun! Today however, was, ummm, interesting? This morning around 10 o'clock we headed outside to play. As we were walking out the backyard, Hannah and the youngest girl (the older one was at school) spot the family cat laying beside the sliding board. Both of them really like the cat and are excited to go pet it. As we get a little nearer, I notice that something just doesn't look right. The cat isn't moving, and when I look a little closer, I see that it is gasping for breath. I quickly tell the girls that the kitty looks like it is taking a nap, and that we should probably go play in the front of the house so that we don't wake the kitty up. Luckily since they are 2 and 4, this seems perfectly logical and they head around to the front of the house with no complaints. I sneak back to check on the cat about an hour later, and yes, it was most defintely dead. EWWW, YUCK, GROSS!!!! I may be a nurse, and not a lot grosses me out, but I don't do dead family pets. No thank you very much!!! I get the girls back in the house for lunch and call my husband at work to ask him what he thinks I should do. He connects me to the lady whose cat just croaked and she asks me to get a shovel out of the garage and just scoop the cat up and throw it in the field behind the house. I really really really didn't want to do it, but I also really really didn't want the first grader to come home and find her dead cat in the back yard. So after lunch I put the girls down for their nap and head out to the back yard, shovel in hand. And I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't do it. I kept thinking that the whole body wouldn't fit on the shovel and it would probably fall off a dozen times before I got to field, and bleh....I just couldn't do it. Luckily the dad of the family that I babysit for had to stop home on his lunch break, and he took care of the cat.

It was certainly an interesting day...:)

No comments: